Saturday, December 20, 2008

Pumpkin Trifle




Spiced Pumpkin Trifle

I got this recipe from Everyday with Rachel Ray. I LOVE pumpkin pie but hate to bake and since I was already taking on Thanksgiving dinner, I figured pie crust would put me over the edge.

I did modify the recipe slightly from the magazine, I didn't include marshmallow fluff so I added sugar to the pumpkin mixture to sweeten it.

1 can pumpkin puree
4 cups heavy cream (RR recipe calls for 3 but since I didn't use marshmallow fluff I used extra)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
pinch ground cloves
pinch salt
3 tbl spoons sugar
1 bag gingersnaps (should equal 3 cups when chopped)
3 tbl spoons dark rum

Beat the heavy cream (or just buy Cool Whip instead, I actually did half fresh whipped and half Cool Whip). Set half aside for layering.

Mix the other half with the pumpkin puree, vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, sugar & salt.

I bought the gingersnaps that came in a paper bag and crushed them right in the bag with a meat tenderizer. Put the crushed snaps in a bowl, reserving the really fine crumbs for the top. Pour the dark rum over the snaps.

Now you're ready to start layering - start with 1/3 of the pumpkin mixture, then layer in about half of the cookies, another pumpkin layer, the rest of the cookies, the rest of the pumpkin.

Then top it off with the remaining whipped cream and sprinkle on the reserved crumbs from the ginger snaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment