- 1 tablespoons vegetable oil (for frying)
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and sliced thin
- 1/2 onion, grated
- .5 pound skinless salmon fillets
- 3/4 cups water
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 scallions, white bulbs only, chopped
- 2 tablespoons dill
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon red- or white-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 pound mixed salad greens (about 4 quarts)
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges (optional)
1. Brush the bottom of a large deep frying pan with 1 tablespoon of the oil. Put the potatoes in the pan and sprinkle with salt. Top with the onion and then the salmon. Sprinkle with another layer of salt and pepper over the salmon. Add the water to the pan, cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the salmon and potatoes are done, about 15 minutes.
2. Remove the salmon and flake. Drain the potatoes well and put in a medium bowl. Add the milk and mash, leaving the potatoes fairly chunky. Add the salmon, more pepper to taste, the scallions, and half of the dill. Form the mixture into four cakes.
3. Wipe out the frying pan. Add 1 tablespoon of the oil and heat over moderately high heat. Add half the salmon cakes to the pan and brown well on both sides, about 5 minutes in all. Drain on paper towels and repeat with another tablespoon oil and the remaining salmon cakes.
4. In a medium glass or stainless-steel bowl, whisk together the mustard, vinegar, and the remaining dill and salt and pepper to taste. Add the olive oil slowly, whisking. Add the greens, toss, and put on plates. Top each salad with two salmon cakes and a lemon wedge.