Saturday, October 24, 2009

Beer Bread


While I've been getting more confident with baking since I started my blog, bread has always been something that's intimidated me. The other day though, I got a craving out of nowhere for beer bread. My (irish) Grammy used to make it when we were growing up.

I found a recipe online with lots of good reviews and sounded pretty simple - it actually was super easy, I was surprised! This bread was so delicious, moist and sweet.

I did add cheese in the bread as you can kind of see from the pictures. Actually a question for all you bread bakers out there - I wanted to add the cheese on top of the bread but didn't think that I could put it on top right away because I thought with an hour of baking time it might burn.

I went to add it halfway through but the top was already too crusted to make the cheese stick. Joe helped me do some surgery and sliced through the top layer of bread and put the cheese in the middle. It actually worked out fine but I would have preferred to put it on top.

So - is it okay to put the cheese on top for the whole baking processes?

Beer Bread


Ingredients

  • 3 cups flour (sifted)
  • 3 teaspoons baking powder (omit if using Self-Rising Flour)
  • 1 teaspoon salt (omit if using Self-Rising Flour)
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 (12 ounce) can beer
  • 1/2 cup melted butter (1/4 cup will do just fine)


Directions


  • Preheat oven to 375 degrees
  • Mix dry ingredients and beer.
  • Pour into a greased loaf pan.
  • Pour melted butter over mixture.
  • Bake 1 hour, remove from pan and cool for at least 15 minutes




3 comments:

  1. I love this recipe! I was just thinking the other day that I needed to make it again! Yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OT

    Hi! Congratulations for your blog! I'm Andrea, an Italian guy who created and managed a Food&Drinks blog.
    What do you think about a link exchange? :)

    Sorry for my bad English! ;)

    Ricette Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love beer bread. My hubby uses the same recipe as a base for his beer bread. He usually adds garlic and different herbs to the top. I definitely think you could add cheese too.

    ReplyDelete